How does Carers WA support Carer Representatives?
Carers WA supports carer representatives by:
- Promoting the role of carer representatives within the health and mental health system
- Matching the unique experience of each carer representative to the requirements of individual committees
- Providing orientation and training to enable carer representatives to be effective carer advocates and participants in committee meetings
- Providing relevant background material to the work of the committee
- Liaising with other carer and consumer or mental health organisations to identify issues
- Convening regular network meetings for carer representatives to discuss emerging carer issues
- Providing individual support to carer representatives as required
- Managing participation payments for carer representatives
Training & Support
Opportunities are provided for the ongoing support and relevant training to assist in your effectiveness as a Carer Representative.
All Carer Representatives are provided with a comprehensive orientation file and have access to staff from Carers WA, as well as the return of the “Toolbox Series” comprising 10 x 2 hour information and education sessions.
A carer participation payment is available to you in recognition of your contribution as a Carer Representative.
The payment is available to you as an endorsed Carer Representative for your attendance and participation in State and Regional Health and Mental Health Service committees.