WA Carers Conference 2012
Approximately 400 people attended the WA Carers Conference 2012, including many carers from regional areas of WA. It was our pleasure to welcome carers to a conference that provided a range of interesting and practical information, opportunities for sharing stories and a range of wellbeing and self-care activities. We valued the input that carers provided to us, and to each other, during the sessions and at the exhibition booths.
- Carers Story Booth – thanks to the many carers who offered to share their story with us so that we can raise carer issues in the media and in our advocacy and campaign work. Our counselling team was booked out and will now be following up with those carers who asked us to follow up via phone. Your stories are a powerful tool - the truth is the best evidence we have.
- Carers voted – thanks to everyone who voted for their top priorities for carers from the state government. We can let the parties in the upcoming state election know of your concerns. For those who did not get a chance to vote, we will make the voting slip available from our website and you can still let us know your choice.
- Evening Café for Carers, Family & Friends – wow!!!! It seems that an ‘out of hours’ event is just what families wanted. Thank you to the 93 people who came to share their ideas about finding time in busy caring families. Your contribution was wonderful, and your photos look amazing. A print of your family photo will be in the mail over the next few weeks. Congratulations to the winners of the door prizes and a big thanks to our sponsors from Australian Red Cross, Independent Living Centre and Silver Chain.
- Exhibition – attendees had the opportunity to meet and chat one-on-one to a variety of service providers who had booths at the Conference Exhibition. Thank you to all the organisations who purchased booths or display tables and provided information to the attendees.
- Wellness activities – many lucky carers enjoyed a little pampering with various wellbeing activities such as massage, reiki, reflexology, meditation and yoga occurring throughout the conference. A big thank you to the wellness suppliers who kindly donated their time for the two days.
We must also thank our sponsors; Department for Communities, Carers Advisory Council, Mental Health Commission, Disability Services Commission, Mental Health Council of Australia, and Lotterywest.