What is the NDIS?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the new way of providing support for people with disability, their families and carers in Australia.
The NDIS will provide about 460,000 Australians under the age of 65 with a permanent and significant disability with the reasonable and necessary supports they need to live an ordinary life.
Reasonable and necessary supports help people with disability achieve their goals, including independence, community involvement, employment and wellbeing.
Supports may include personal care and support, access to the community, therapy services and essential equipment.
The NDIS also provides people with disability, their families and carers with information and referrals to existing support services in the community.
The roll out of the NDIS began on 1 July 2016 and is being introduced in stages around the country over the next three years to ensure it is successful and sustainable.
Existing Commonwealth and state-based services and supports will continue until eligible people start to receive supports from the NDIS.
Now is the time to get ready.
What can people with disability, their families and carers do to get ready for the NDIS?
- Learn if you might be able to access the NDIS. Complete the access checklist.
- Think about your life now, your current informal and formal supports, and what is working and what might need to change. Learn about reasonable and necessary supports.
- Identify your strengths, interests, challenges and consider your goals or what you might want to achieve. Read about the types of services and supports the NDIS can provide.
- Write these things down and collect any reports, assessments or information you might find helpful for when the NDIS comes to you.
An NDIS Partner working in your community will also help you get ready.
What can disability service providers do to get ready for the NDIS?
- Visit the providers page to learn about registering as an NDIS provider.
- Start thinking about how to work with the NDIS. Consider the opportunities for your business and what you might have to change.
What can the community do to get ready for the NDIS?
- Start to think about what inclusion, accessibility and equity looks like for people with disability in your community. Learn why community participation is important.
- Talk to your family, friends and colleagues about the NDIS and what it will mean for people with disability.
- Make changes and embrace the opportunity to create a more inclusive and accessible community for everyone.
Click here to download or read the latest NDIS resources to help you get NDIS Ready