Are you a young carer in Western Australia with a passion for trying out new activities?
Young carers all over WA have the opportunity to engage in peer-to-peer contact the old fashioned way, helping optimise social skills and create international friendships through our Young Carer Pen Pal Program!
Our WA young carer participants are able to connect with young carers from the Bristol & South Gloucestershire Young Carers and Scarborough & Ryedale Young Carers, through their United Kingdom (UK) Pen Pal Program. The project is a great opportunity for young carers in Western Australia to form long lasting friendships with young carers in the UK.
The program allows young people to exchange stories, tips and learning opportunities through traditional snail mail. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may, however, opt to use email exchange instead.
As a young carer, you will be linked to another young carer in the UK who may have similar interests and hobbies as you, or you can choose to have a completely random partner who may have many new exciting topics to write to you about. This program also encourages you to create a space where you can turn to your new friend and talk about any difficulties, discuss any carer-related advice or simply just to chat their life and your ambitions.
Some great benefits of having a pen pal are:
- You will create a global connection and a unique friendship.
- It helps you create a safe, fun and exciting space where you are free to discuss subjects you may have trouble talking about in person.
- You are able to connect with people like you/in similar situations as you.
- It improves your literacy and communication skills.
- You will be able to experience the rewards of being patient.
- You will have the opportunity to learn about new cultures and lifestyles.
- You have the excitement of receiving a personalised letter in the mail just for you!.
We encourage our young carers to join this exciting program as there is already a huge amount of participants ready to go in the UK. If you are or know a young carer in WA, let them know that they are welcome to join and be partnered with a young carer in the UK, as soon as possible. You may speak with a member of the team if you have any specific requests.