Our Policy Agenda
- Consults with family and friend carers on key strategic issues. You may have attended some of our recent workshops, for example the WA Primary Health Care Strategy and the drafting of new mental health legislation. Carer input is also sought through surveys and through our e-bulletins.
- Analyses and comments on new and amended state and federal government legislation.
- Pursues opportunities to represent the needs of caring families to state and federal governments, policy makers, services providers and the broader community.
- Lobbies for improvement in the recognition of and support for caring families and friends through submissions and representations to Ministers.
- Promotes the development and delivery of flexible services and carer-inclusive practices that better meet the needs of carers.
- Participates in and promotes research about carers and the people they care for.
Working with other organisations to achieve a whole of government approach
As well as working with government and agencies in Western Australia, Carers WA makes a significant contribution to national submissions prepared by Carers Australia and the Network of Carer Associations. We also advocate on national issues that are of particular importance to caring families in our state.
- We collaborate with key partners to ensure that the diverse needs of carers, and of the people they care for, are considered.
We advocate for a systemic, whole of government approach that acknowledges the ways in which policies interact and affect the lives of those caring and those being cared for.