What is the DIFFERENT LENS’ Initiative?
Carers WA is working together with Screenwest for a one-off opportunity for a Western Australian Producer or Production Company to work with emerging storytellers and practitioners who identify as disability-diverse.
We are looking for 12 community members who have a disability and are willing to share their stories of how they contribute to their communities.
The aims of the initiative are to:
- offer screen skills development opportunities for Western Australian disability-diverse screen practitioners
- produce local disability-led content (storytellers)
- build capacity of local screen sector to include disability-diverse practitioners
- promote visibility of disability-diverse onscreen talent
More about the DIFFERENT LENS Initiative…
Phase one and two (already in progress)
- Professional Production Company will mentor four paid professional placement opportunities for Screen Practitioners who identify as disability-diverse to develop their skills as a Writer, Director of Photography, Sound Recordist and/or Editor.
- Carers WA will support the selection process to find 12 storytellers who identify as disability-diverse and who have stories of inclusion in various focus areas:
- Employment – do you have a story about being included in the workforce or developing a micro-enterprise?
- Arts – can you share a story about you and your work being included in a mainstream arts company, gallery, event?
- Recreation and Leisure – how do you feel included when you’re in your community and socialising with friends, utilising parks and facilities?
- Sport – how has participation in sporting activities helped you to feel included in your community.
- Screen – do you have a story about being included in the screen industry?
- Any other area of life that tells a story about being and feeling included in your community.
Carers WA and Screenwest will assess all stories against the following assessment criteria:
- Potential to contribute unique inclusion perspectives in Western Australia
- Storytelling mode e.g. verbal, augmented communication, text to speech, AUSLAN
- Barriers to telling personal stories
- Willingness to tell your story on camera – with or without support
If you have an inclusion story that promotes seeing the world through a “DIFFERENT LENS'” please feel free to give us a call before the closing date if you have any questions.
Otherwise email your story in a one page (maximum) Word document and/or short (2 min maximum) video to Carers WA by the closing date: Tuesday, 3rd March 2020.
If you have any queries:
(08) 9228 7400
(08) 6169 2100