Skip to content Skip to menu

Carer Services and Supports in WA

Carers Services Directory

The Department of Local Government and Communities has launched an online directory of services allowing carers to easily access information on the services and support available to them. Click on the link below to access the online directory.

Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres (CRCCs)

Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres (CRCCs) aim to contribute to the support and maintenance of caring relationships by facilitating access to information, respite care and other support appropriate to carers’ needs and circumstances, and the needs of the people they care for.

The national network of CRCCs provides a link to carer support services and assists carers with options to take a break through short-term and emergency respite. Where appropriate, a CRCC can help with putting in place regular respite for a carer to reduce the need for unplanned and emergency respite. CRCCs also provide information about carer support services in their local area.

CRCCs provide free and confidential information on local carer support, disability and community services.

Contact your nearest Centre by calling Freecall 1800 052 222 (*calls from mobile phones are charged at applicable rates). 

Department of Human Services / Centrelink

Centrelink facilitates access to Carers Payment and Carers Allowance and other income support payment relevant to the needs of carers.Eligibility criteria may apply.

13 27 17 (Disability, Sickness and Carers Line)

My Aged Care

My Aged Care is a phone line and website to assist older people, their families and carers to access aged care information and services.

Freecall: 1800 200 422

National Carer Gateway

Carer Gateway has information to assist carers, including practical advice on how to care, details about financial and respite support, and how to make adjustments when the caring role ends.

To access this service, call 1800 422 737 (8.00am - 6.00pm WST, Monday - Friday) or visit

Patient First

What is Patient First?

The Patient First program helps you to understand important aspects of the person you care for health care and includes information on the following topics:

  • Knowing your rights and responsibilities
  • Knowing that your health care is safe
  • Making the right decisions for you
  • Safe use of medicines
  • Preventing falls, pressure sores and infections
  • Recovering well
  • Being prepared to go home

The Patient First program includes the following resources:

Ask for a booklet from your health professional or visit the HealthyWA website for more information.

Motor Neurone Disease Association of WA

This association offers assistance to people with Motor Neurone Disease, their carers and families.

Centre for Neurological Support
The Niche
B/11 Aberdare Road

(08) 9346 7355 or

Cancer Council of Western Australia

If you or someone you care about has been diagnosed with cancer, you probably have many questions and concerns. The Cancer Council of WA has put together a range of information to support you and your family. Cancer Council Support Coordinators seek to reduce the impact of cancer by providing assistance and support to anyone who is affected by a cancer diagnosis. Services are available in the metropolitan and country areas.

Cancer Council Helpline 13 11 20  

Parkinson’s Western Australia

Seventeen informal groups including a young onset group, are active in the metropolitan area and rural regions. Meetings are attended by people with Parkinson's, family members and carers to share information and enjoy social support and friendship. Short Breaks are also available for carers.

Centre for Neurological Support
The Niche
B/11 Aberdare Road

Ph: (08) 93467373

For carers of children with disability - MyTime

MyTime groups provide facilitated peer support for mums, dads, grandparents and anyone caring for children with a disability, developmental delay or chronic medical condition. Socialise and share ideas and information with others who understand the rewards and intensity of caring for a child with special needs. Each group has a play helper who leads children and siblings in activities, so parents and carers can spend time focusing on catching up with others. Groups exist throughout WA including many country areas.

1800 889 997 or


HelpingMinds provide services to both people affected by a mental health condition, and their close friends or family who provide support. Services includes counselling, support groups, respite, young carer support, information, referrals and advocacy. Our services are free, confidential and everybody is welcome.

HelpingMinds has offices located in:

  • Broome
  • Carnarvon
  • Cockburn
  • Fremantle
  • Geraldton
  • Midland
  • Midvale
  • Perth
  • Port Hedland
  • Whitfords 

(08) 9427 7100 or country freecall 1800 811 747


Wanslea is a not-for-profit, non-government agency providing services to children and families in Western Australia. Wanslea are engaged in four main areas of activity:

  • Family Support
  • Out of Home Care
  • Child Care
  • Community capacity building

 (Country based services available)

For more information, call (08) 9245 2441 or visit


Ruah Community Services is a not-for-profit community service organisation. It is committed to working in partnership with citizens marginalised by mainstream society to enable them to overcome their disadvantage, improve the quality of their lives, enhance their spirit and participate more fully in the community. RUAH provide programs that adopt a family centred approach to support and recovery from mental ill health.

Phone (08) 9485 3939 or visit


MIFWA offers support and services to people with mental illness, their families and carers.

MIFWA provide a range of support services to people diagnosed with a mental illness and their carers and families. If you need information, rehabilitation, family support, carer support, we can help.

The Well Ways program for carers: Current research evidence and the experience of families who have lived with mental illness combine to help families in a way that purely medical information cannot. Our family-to-family model offers the opportunity to benefit from the wisdom and experience of our family educators. Services are available in some country areas

Our information line is open 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday on (08) 9237 8900. Give us a call if you need information on mental illness, support services and treatments or referrals. Or you can email or visit

Richmond Wellbeing

If you are a carer of someone living with a serious mental health difficulty, Richmond Wellbeing Carer Respite Program can help. Richmond Wellbeing support families to take a break from their caring role with periodic opportunities for respite. Engaging your loved one in a number of enjoyable, stimulating and sometimes challenging activities gives you time to focus on your needs and offers the person you care for their own space.

Telephone: (08) 9350 8800 Website: 


CLAN WA recognised the impact of mental illness on immediate and extended family members, friends and colleagues in the community. Clan provides support to individuals and families affected by someone else's mental illness through information sessions, workshops, one-to-one support and counselling. Clan has a number of offices throughout the metropolitan area including Mandurah.

Central Office: (08) 9228 9006

Grow for Carers

GROW is anonymous and confidential. There are no fees involved and you do not need a referral. Your lived experience as a carer of a person with mental illness is your qualification. Carers who are thinking of attending will have the opportunity to work on and develop specific challenges they are currently facing as an individual or family member. The wisdom of the GROW program is designed to address these issues.

Contact Mental Illness Fellowship of WA (08) 9250 2884 or 


Kalparrin help families of children with disabilities and special needs to carry their load by providing practical information and support, and connecting them with the services that they need. They help families connect with other families in similar situations through Parent Link, and to take time out through regular respite activities. Anyone is welcome to stop by the Drop-in Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital. It’s a comfortable place to wait for appointments, have a coffee, browse brochures, chat with Family Support Officers, or share experiences with other families.

Telephone: 08 9340 8094 Freecall: 1800 066 413 Fax: 08 9380 6114 Email: Website:


Advocare provides a free, professional advocacy service for older adults and care recipients living in Western Australia. They assist clients of both residential and community care to understand their rights and make any necessary complaints about the care service they receive. Advocare are also available to help older adults who are experiencing elder abuse.

Telephone: 08 9479 7566 Website:

Perth Home Care Services - NOW AVIVO

Perth Home Care Services (PHCS) has recently changed name to Avivo. Avivo is a recognised leader in innovative approaches to consumer-directed care and individualised service design and delivery – in the disability, aged and mental health sectors. They are a non-denominational, community benefit organisation, incorporated in 1970, that specialises in delivering person-centred solutions to support people to live at home with dignity.

Avivo has offices in Osborne Park and Jandakot, as well as Geraldton, Northam and Mandurah.

Telephone: 1300 428 486 Website: