There are many ways to become a carer-friendly employer and better support carers in yourworkplace. These strategies do not have to be costly or require a major change in how an organisation operates.
A small, simple adjustment can make a significant difference in improving employee wellbeing.
5 easy strategies you can implement to become a carer-friendly employer today
- Raise awareness
- Defining the term carer within your workplace.
- Recognising and understanding the evolving caring role.
- Run an internal event for Carers Week.
- Foster a culture that values carers
- Make this clear in workplace policies.
- Encourage management to communicate an ongoing commitment to staff and support accessing leave where needed.
- Providing practical support with “lunch and learns”, education sessions or hosting peer support groups for carers.
- Arrange a consultation with staff who are caring
- Let staff know that you are looking at becoming more of a carer-friendly workplace.
- Use staff surveys and carer network meetings to discuss what is and isn’t working for carers at your workplace.
- Educate staff about flexible workplace arrangements
- Especially if you have varied leave provisions and ensure staff are aware of carers’ rights to request flexible working arrangements under the Fair Work Act.
- Consider making flexibility the norm, rather than the exception, for all job roles.
- Monitoring changes in the carer population, uptake of workplace supports, employee sickness, absence and turnover rates – and advocate for extra support as necessary.
Ready for the next steps? If you would like to learn more about becoming a carer-friendly workplace with solutions and resources, read our e-book that delves into more detail on implementing carer-friendly policies within your workplace. HR and management professionals searching for a comprehensive method of transition can also become accredited carer-friendly employers through Carers WA.
Download: Guide to creating a carer-friendly workplace
Want to know more about why it’s important to have a carer friendly workplace? Read “Why employers should support carers in the workplace” to learn how it will help your organisation’s company culture thrive.
Click here for more tips on how employers can support a carer in the workplace.